Saturday, October 13, 2012

Cover Art for Storm-Wing - Revised Version

I took to heart the comments on my previous post about how the scene appears to be underwater.  I was puzzled at first, until I realized it was an optical illusion induced by the width of the river in the background, which could be interpreted as the top of a body of water.  I never perceived it like that because I knew what I was looking at.  It threw the perspective off (something I'm shaky on anyway) and made the river seem much more significant that it should.  So below is my revised version.  I narrowed the river, removed the ripples (which I think were a distraction), altered the shape of the hills to emphasize the big flying critter, and added a strip of greenish color to represent more water in the background (this is supposed to be a swamp after all).  Let's see what you think of this.
 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! I'm grateful to you for bringing the optical illusion to my attention!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra! I thought it made a pretty stricking cover. Being an action scene, maybe it will help to attract attention to the book after it's published!

      Delete